October 22, 2021 by admin Blog 0 comments
Don’t Ignore These 5 Signs to See a Physical Therapist
It’s always important to listen to your body, and any signs it might give you regarding aches and pains.
Here are five signals (that you may ignore) that you should see a PT:
- You’re having to modify exercises, your recreational activities, or daily function. While the pain doesn’t restrict you from activity, you still must modify or make small compromises. You may feel sore, so you limit your activity. PTs can help determine the root of the issue and fix it before an injury occurs or reoccurs.
- You’re starting a new workout or training program. Physical therapists are movement experts and understand how best the body functions. They help you understand the proper mechanics, so you can train correctly and reduce the risk of sustaining an injury. Why leave it to chance?
- Your recovery period is way longer than normal. It is normal to experience soreness following a race or post-workout if it dissipates in a few days. However, if routine activities cause pain lasting more than 3 days, you should call your PT immediately. It could involve a muscle, tendon, ligament, or joint that should be addressed.
- You’re waking up sore, but you didn’t do any strenuous activity. You shouldn’t wake up from sleeping feeling sore. Sure, you may need time to warm up your body, but you shouldn’t be in pain. More than likely, it is your sleep position, poor mattress or pillow. A PT can help determine the cause of soreness and help you get a more restful night of sleep.
- You’re noticing unusual pain, or unexplainable, visible changes. If you observe swelling or other changes to your joints or other parts of the body, especially after a training session, you should contact a physical therapist as soon as possible. You could be making an underlying injury even worse.
Don’t neglect the beginning stages of pain and let them turn into bigger issues. Call OC Sports and Rehab today if you are experiencing any of the 5 signs above.