Fitness Tips for Summer Vacation Travel
As vacation season approaches, many of us are eagerly anticipating the opportunity to visit faraway friends, explore new places, and perhaps even check off some items from our bucket lists. To ensure you make the most of your vacation and maintain a healthy lifestyle while away, here are some essential tips to consider as recommended by our Orange County Physical Therapists:
- Plan Around an Activity: Instead of simply planning your vacation around a specific location, consider making one or more activities the focal point of your agenda. This could involve going on hiking tours, trying snorkeling for the first time, or organizing a family camping trip. By incorporating exciting activities, you can infuse your vacation with memorable experiences.
- Keep Moving En Route: Whether you’re traveling by plane or car, it’s common to spend a significant amount of time sitting and waiting during the front and back ends of your journey. Take advantage of breaks in your trip to engage in physical activity. Go for short walks, perform stretches, or even try dynamic exercises like lunges, light jogging, or arm/leg swings. These movements will keep your body active and invigorated.
- Explore on Foot/Bike: Once you arrive at your destination, make a commitment to explore the area on foot. Consider jogging a new route each morning or taking regular walking tours to immerse yourself in the local environment. Alternatively, rent a bike and enjoy the sights from a different perspective. Exploring on foot or by bike allows you to fully appreciate the surroundings and engage with the local culture.
- Strength Train Using Body Weight: Being in an unfamiliar place with limited or no access to a gym shouldn’t deter you from maintaining your strength training routine. You can effectively engage your muscles using only your body weight. Whether in your hotel room or at a nearby park, incorporate exercises such as lunges, squats, push-ups, and planks into your workout regimen. These exercises provide excellent resistance and help you stay in shape while on vacation.
- Stay Hydrated: When you’re in a new environment and captivated by the excitement of new experiences and encounters, it’s easy to overlook proper hydration. Carry a reusable water bottle with you at all times to serve as a reminder to drink water consistently throughout the day. Additionally, be mindful of your consumption of sugary and/or alcoholic beverages, enjoying them in moderation while prioritizing water intake to keep your body properly hydrated.
- Mind Your Diet: Vacations often disrupt our usual eating routines, especially when we’re eager to sample local cuisine. While it’s important to indulge and explore new culinary delights, do so with a mindful approach. Plan your meals strategically to maintain a balanced diet. For example, if you anticipate a large dinner one evening, opt for a lighter and healthier meal earlier in the day, and vice versa. By being conscious of your choices, you can enjoy new flavors while still nourishing your body.
- Don’t Skimp on Sleep: It’s tempting to sacrifice sleep in favor of more hours spent sightseeing and embracing new experiences. However, this trade-off is not worth it in the long run. Adequate sleep is crucial for your overall well-being and will enhance your vacation experience. Prioritize getting a good night’s sleep to ensure you feel refreshed, alert, and energized throughout the day. A well-rested mind and body will allow you to make the most of every moment.
By incorporating these tips into your vacation plans, you can strike a balance between exploration, relaxation, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Enjoy your travels, create cherished memories, and return home feeling rejuvenated and fulfilled.