How to Avoid Back Injuries
At OC Sports and Rehab we regularly see patients with back pain due to heavy lifting. Surprisingly, healthcare workers are among the most likely to be injured on the job due to moving, transferring, and lifting patients from awkward positions with little to no assistance. In some cases, the injuries are worse than our patients in a construction job or jobs involving manual labor.
Being conscious of your posture and limitations is one way to avoid a lower back sprain or injury. But here are more ways to protect your back.
- Have a plan for your lift and transfer of the object or person. Test the weight first to make sure it doesn’t exceed what you’re capable of. If you have access to any aid, whether it’s another person or machinery, use it!
- Get as close as possible to the item you are moving. This will reduce the amount of strain on your back.
- Lift your head up while keeping your back straight. You should lift with the strongest muscles in your hips and legs.
- Tighten and use your abdominal muscles to protect your back.
- Keep your nose between your toes. When moving an object, pivot on your feet rather than twisting the spine.
These simple yet effective points will keep your back healthy, strong, and pain-free. But in the event you find yourself in pain, back physical therapy is always a great way to work out the kinks. Call or text us 949.716.5050